Thursday 19 April 2018

Sunshine and migrants at last !!!!

Plenty of sunshine and blue skies today and at times the temperature felt positively tropical.
An early morning walk produced lovely views of a Barn Owl below Hanging Houghton.
I spent the morning agility training at Doddington crossing which put simply a field next to Mary's lake at Summer Leys.  Whilst here several Sedge Warblers were calling and much to everyone's amusement a rather vocal Cuckoo. There were good numbers of Red Kite in the air and at one point a bit of a scuffle between 2 Red Kites and an Osprey. The only other bird of note was a Hobby.
On my way home I called in to Sywell Reservoir where there were more Sedge Warblers and a Cettis Warbler but very little else.
I visited Harrington Airfield this evening checking the rough strip and bunkers.  I flushed a stunning male Common Redstart out of the bushes and followed it to the first bunker where I left it. Other birds included a single Northern Wheatear, 2 Yellow Wagtails and 2 pairs of Grey Partridge.
Plenty of butterflies on the wing today, my first Orange Tip along with Brimstone, Comma and small Tortoiseshell.

Regards  Eleanor

No comments: